The family run business of Maunder & Son had been operating out of the original retail and storage buildings originally constructed circa 1950. The site occupies a prominent corner location on an industrial estate in Launceston which covers an area of 0.8 hectares / 1.978 acres.
With the demolition of the existing structure, the development on the site comprises 3 new buildings with a total floor area of approximately 3,000m2 with A1 retail and B8 storage and distribution use.
The former shabby appearance of the original site has been significantly enhanced by new single storey buildings which incorporate resurfaced areas and projecting canopies to break up the ‘flatness’ of the elevations.
Elevation treatments include profile cladding panels laid predominantly horizontally with cedar cladding at the main entrance. A mixture of profile cladding to the pitched roofs and single ply membrane to the flat areas. Shallow pitched roofs with low ridged eaves introduced so not to dominate adjacent buildings. Doors and windows both powder coated grey with dark grey aluminium trims.
The development is environmentally sensitive with considered energy conservation:
· Sustainable drainage system
· Use of greater energy sufficiency techniques
· High insulation and low energy heating
· Use of sustainable natural energy